Monday, April 4, 2011

Hero.

Men: If you are a husband or a father, or if you ever hope to be, please be a man who is not characterized by complaining or criticizing. If you are a man who works hard for your wife or family, and who can enjoy life & look to Jesus even in the simple parts of life, it will not go unnoticed.

Sometimes we,
as people, and maybe more so as women, have a tendency to get so caught up in the busyness of life that we can overlook things, or forget to verbalize our thankfulness.

Still... be that man
, and people will come around. Even if you don't receive that recognition and congratulation from people, know that it pleases the heart of God to see men after His heart, who are loving Him so much that you are becoming like Him and reflecting Him. That is your purpose.

This doesn't even go simply for men or marriage or parenthood, but being a good son or daughter, brother or sister, friend, coworker, whatever.

I just know that, by observing the kind of man my dad is, I am inspired to be more like him. To be kind, to be joyful, to be strong, to not complain, to realize the measure with which God has poured out His love on me, and to be so impossible, uncontainably excited about it!
My dad displays the heart of Jesus... and that makes me love him all the more...
And it makes me love my Father in heaven so much more because I remember that, if my dad who is human and who gets frustrated and can [yes, its true] become selfish or impatient, my Heavenly Father loves me perfectly, and He gives the best gifts... even more than my own generous dad does! And THAT boggles my mind.

[And, women, if you're reading this-- because I know some of you will-- how about we start practicing the art of thankfulness? I know I take people in my life for granted WAY too much... my family most of all. Its a shame that those who love me the most, sacrifice the most for me, and who are there for me through it all are the ones I forget to thank sometimes. Let's change the habit.]

Anyway, getting to the point:

My dad is one of the most incredible men I have ever had the privilege of knowing.


He is just such a fantastic leader for our family, a loving husband to my mom, a fun& selfless dad, and just an overall great example.
Yesterday, Jen& I walked into the living room to spy my parents sitting on a bench on the front porch, just laughing& talking& joking around. We didn’t even know they were home, and it made me smile to think that they had gotten home from church [together], and just took a minute to stop & enjoy the day and a few minutes of conversation before they even came inside.


This morning, my dad said, “Ahh… Monday, Monday.” [Yes, he was making a Mamas& the Papas reference. We love them.]



I thought he might follow with something like, “Man, that weekend went too quickly.” or “Well, there’s another long week ahead of us.”



Instead he said, “This is the day that the Lord has made, and we will rejoice& be glad in it!”



Might I just let you in on a little secret? MY DAD DID NOT EVEN GET A WEEKEND.


He worked 40 hours this week at his job doing maintenance in the school district [that alone impresses me, that he does not think he is “above” any type of work, but works fixing toilets& roofs& air conditioning units from Monday- Friday, and gets in the pulpit to teach on Wednesday& Sunday.].

On Saturday, he worked all day painting, fixing, and preparing our old house for the new renters. Sunday was church. Anyone who is a pastor or who knows a pastor well knows that, for pastors, Sundays are work, too.



He had a few hours of free time yesterday afternoon. 3 hours. All week.
Yet, this morning, he didn’t even complain. He praised God for another day.


Come to think of it, I was trying to think of the last time I heard him complain, and I can’t even remember. When I ask him, “Hey Papa, how was work?” he usually says, “It was good!” [Really? Fixing plumbing was “good”? Really?]. The worst I’ve ever heard him say is, “Oh… work was work!”

I LOVE MY DAD.


He is the best example, and a man who truly has the heart of a servant.

I know he will never read this, because he doesn’t even know about this blog, but goodness gracious… If you ever see my dad, please give him a hug or a nice, firm handshake.
He deserves it.


1 comment:

Jen said...

I commented on the FB post of this yesterday, but it never showed up. When I read this yesterday morning, I burst into tears. On Sunday, when I was outside helping him weed for a few minutes (before he sent me inside), I was just struck by what a hard-working, faithful man he is. And yesterday, it helped me to realize how much God loves me. Papa loves me more than just about anyone on this earth, and I realized that 1) Being loved like that is a gift from God, and 2) It's just a shadow of how much God loves me. Thanks for writing this.