Trying to brainstorm ideas of how to give according to people's NEEDS. Sure, I'm all about toy drives, and getting gifts for children. Even though they aren't exactly a necessity, I love knowing that kids have toys & stuffed animals, just like their peers. When I was a kid, we didn't have a lot, but my parents would always get us Christmas gifts, and we cherished those things so much.
Still, I'm not going to give toys to adults, and although teddy bears are fantastic, people need food, clothing, and shelter. Especially in Colorado.
Here are some ideas I've come up with!
1) Whole Foods.I went to buy groceries today and saw cards at the checkstand with $5, $10, and $20 values.
I asked the cashier about them, and she told me that 100% OF THE PROCEEDS go to buying food items for families in need, within our community.
You buy a card. Whole Foods uses all of that amount to buy Whole Foods brand grocery items to give to needy families. Since they use it for WF items, it's more cost effective. They are in network with a few local shelters, and the employees at the shelters will let Whole Foods know the specific food needs [milk, bread, meat, etc.], so that everyone can ensure that the family is getting what it NEEDS. I love that. So I bought one.
I think that's one of the most fantastic ideas, #1) Because 100% of proceeds go directly to the families, #2) Because it's given within our community, and #3) Because they work closely with NPOs and there is transparency between the two organizations. Whole Foods basically takes your money, does the shopping for you [since they know specifically what the people/families need], and deliver it to the shelters.
2) Gift cards.
Chipotle does this thing where, if you buy a certain dollar amount of gift cards, they'll throw in an extra one. I know a lot of people prefer to not give money to homeless people, or to someone you might see standing at the corner of an intersection with a sign. I understand most people don't carry food in their car to give. But what if I had some Chipotle gift cards to give?
#1) Chipotle is delicious,
#2) Chipotle is nutritious,
#3) It's not expensive, so you can give someone a $7-10 gift card and know they will get a decent meal,
#4) It's not McDonald's, Wendy's, Taco Bell, or any of those other gross fast food places.
If I won't eat fast food because I know how terrible it is for my health, I don't want to give someone else a gift card for those places.
"Merry Christmas & Happy Artery Clogging"? NO. Not so much.
3) Speaking of not generally having food in my car to give away:
I used to keep bottles of Gatorade and protein bars in my car, in case I saw someone asking for food or money, so I could at least have something to offer them. I forgot all about that! I think it's time to buy more nonperishable snacks to keep in my car, just in case.
Again, granola bars, protein bars, bottled water, juice boxes, snack packs of almonds or trail mix--- something. Preferably with protein, since it keeps you fuller longer.
4) Beanies, gloves, or other cold weather articles of clothing.
Clearly, I'm not going to become some hoarder who keeps insane amounts of things in my car. However, one of our patients last week was telling me how she knits caps/beanies and donates them to homeless shelters and other NPOs. I don't knit, I don't crochet, I don't sew.
I DO always have extra sweaters in my car, for myself, since Colorado weather is as unpredictable as a moody teenager. If I were to ever come across someone who needed warm clothes, I could give them something of my own.
Still... It might be worth considering keeping some beanies or gloves in my trunk, just in case. Goodwill & the Salvation Army are perfect places to pick up perfectly wearable items [in GOOD condition!] without breaking the bank by buying brand new ones at Wal-Mart or Target.
I want to give and-- although sometimes it's very spontaneous-- if I want to give more often, I have to budget to some degree.
So far, Colorado has been unseasonably warm, with a few frigid days here& there. But I know colder days are coming, and next month is usually the coldest. Even with layer upon layer upon layer, sometimes I'm still cold. I can't imagine what it would be like for people who sleep on stoops or in shop doorways, or even in an actual house that they cannot afford to heat.
5) CharityNavigator.org.
You can go to this website and search for specific charities, or just for the top ranked ones. It will tell you what the premise of the charity is, what their revenue & expenses are, and will rate them based on transparency and how much of the money is actually used for what you think you're giving.
I like supporting organizations within my own community, or at least something local-- in my same county or state.
I found one called Jeffco Action Center, which has been given 4 stars. Out of 70 points possible, it has scored 65.91 overall, and 70 points on "Transparency".
It's "an immediate response to basic human needs and to promote pathways to self-sufficiency. It provides services to people who are in danger of becoming homeless, or attempting to move out of homelessness.
It serves as a haven of hope for the thousands of homeless, near homeless, and working poor who come through our door every year.
People can receive assistance with a five-day supply of food, clothing for the whole family, necessary household items, and medical care."
6) Give time.Volunteering for the Thanksgiving meal at the Salvation Army this year was so great. I definitely want to do it again! It was a very last minute decision, and I was able to register for one of the last 2 available positions. Next year, I'll register in advance, and maybe even for two days or two shifts. It reminded me of volunteering at the Way Station in Joshua Tree, and was so much fun, and so rewarding to be able to spend time talking to people, serving food, and cleaning up.
I'm hoping/planning to help out at the Way Station when I go home for Christmas, as long as the volunteer dates aren't before December 21st.
Even so--- as the holidays end, the needs& opportunities don't. I'm moving to Aurora this month, and will immediately be on the job hunt. However, as I determine a work schedule, I want to find something to be a part of: Salvation Army, Red Cross, Big Brothers/Big Sisters of America... something!
I am so excited about this next season in life, and the opportunities that God is showing me. To be continued! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment